Friday 25 January 2013

track 008 - doodles

Happy Friday!

Since I got a couple of comments on my last entry about doodling being hard, I thought I'd let you see how I do it. It's easier when you focus on small steps instead of aiming for the ready drawing right away! So, these are my steps to the vine doodles featured in the envelope in my previous post - feel free to draw along or adjust them to your needs.

1. Make some swirls by pencil. I like to start them from the corners, because then I don't have to worry about what the other end looks like - just the swirl end. Make sure they're nice and loose - there's no need to try and get them symmetrical or perfectly shaped! Draw them fast and then adjust later if need be. I always start from the biggest swirl and add smaller ones around it, making sure they curve in different direction, start in different places and are different length.


2. Ink them in! Make sure you use a pen that doesn't smudge or fade too much when you erase the pencil marks from under it. I ended up smudging with my hand, try to avoid that. ;) At this point you can make adjustments or additions - you can see I haven't followed the pencil marks 100%.


3. Erase the pencil marks. Add details! Below are some examples on what kinds of patterns you can use to fill in your doodle. Combine them, add other shapes and patterns, have fun!


After you have your details in place, have fun with your swirls. Make their thickness vary, add more branches, see what looks good to you. When you make them thicker, do it gradually - you can always add more, but it's hard to make them thinner if you accidentally go too far from the original line! This is one example on how your doodle can look after some flesh:


Finish the other side as well! After that, you can add more swirls, details and other things you deem appropriate. Remember, the most important thing is to have fun - so relax, let your creativity take over and try out things! If you're not sure how something is going to look like, sketch it with a pencil first and ink it in when you're happy with it.


Ta-dah! You have one incredible doodle - be proud of yourself and reward yourself with a nice cup of tea while admiring your handiwork!
Some detail shots below.




Happy doodling, everyone! Remember, these are just guidelines. There is no one way of doing things, so experiment and see what works out for you! This is only meant as a rough guide if you really don't have any idea where you should start - or if you want to try out something new just for fun.

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhh thankyou for posting this! I'm going to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun! Take pictures when you're done! (:

      Delete
  2. Oh, these are pretty! I guess i have to doodle today too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so going to have to try this, as well! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! It is strangely relaxing. (:

      Delete